Posted Jun 8, 2018
New York, NY
MCS - New York NY
Corporate » Professional Services
If you love managing multiple projects at the same time and keeping a lot of balls in the air, Macy’s Professional Services offers incredible opportunities to develop your career. You’ll work collaboratively with every aspect of the business – and you’ll never, ever be bored – but you’ll still enjoy terrific work/life balance.
The Director – Legal Strategy and Operations is responsible for the strategic planning and execution, finance and budget management, legal information technology, e-discovery and records management, outside counsel and vendor management, and communications and administration for the department. The Director- Legal Strategy and Operations has superior organizational, communication and follow-up skills and is able to work well in a team environment and under strict time constraints.
• Identifying and developing cutting-edge strategies for increasing value and reducing outside legal spend while maintaining excellent legal representation and optimizing engagement practices with our law firms. Helping to manage external spend via financial analysis, benchmarking and proposing vendor alternatives, as well as negotiating agreements and alternative fee arrangements/discounts.
• Leading e-discovery efforts, including vetting managed review providers and tool vendors.
• Identifying, implementing and managing legal department technology solutions, including intake and matter management, contract management, records management and e-billing tools, to drive efficiency, collaboration and departmental alignment.
• Owning and continuing to develop the department-wide web portal to support cross-departmental communication, policy compliance, access to key legal department information, tools and templates, and to foster collaboration.
• Leading the strategic planning process to determine future headcount and spend by practice and site, and working as the continued primary interface between the Legal and Finance Departments.
• Driving department planning by identifying, tracking and reporting on key department metrics, business analysis and industry benchmarking.
• B.A in Finance related field and MBA required. JD/MBA preferred.
• Minimum 8-10 years of experience with a focus on legal department operations preferred.
• Experience with an in-house legal department demonstrating strong experience in the areas detailed above.
• Hands-on experience with administration of contracts and contract database.
• Experience with technology and billing systems used by in-house legal teams.
• Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to liaise with all areas of the businesses at all levels, including senior management.
• Highly collaborative team player with a strong desire to make a meaningful impact.
• Must have exceptional mathematical skills, including the ability to compute and apply rates, ratios, fractions, percentages, and proportions to practical situations.
• Must have demonstrated ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inferences.
• Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects; demonstrated project management skills.
• Clear and strategic thinker; proven experience in translating strategies into actionable plans.
• Capable of handling multiple projects/initiatives simultaneously and executing to completion.
• Very strong organizational and project management skills.
• Demonstrated critical thinking to take appropriate risk and make sound and timely decisions.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Involves ability to use computer, mouse, keyboard which may involve manual dexterity.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Technology-savvy; proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and Portal; expertise with e-billing solutions and contract management solutions.
• Responsive, approachable and collaborative working style.
• Ability to reach quickly with a strong sense of urgency.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and respond promptly to shifting priorities.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong work ethic.
• Demonstrated track record of success with hands on execution in developing and implementing policies, procedures and processes to meet our legal compliance and business needs globally.
• Ability to act as a Change Management expert and enabler on various projects and programs across the business.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
• Willingness to travel 10% of the time.
• Willingness to work in office in Cincinnati, OH; San Francisco, CA; or New York, NY.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.