The Retail Sales Associate is responsible for providing a shopping experience that will make the customer feel welcome and comfortable though outstanding customer service, meeting hourly sales and loyalty goals on a personal and departmental basis, and demonstrating superior product knowledge to customers.
- Acknowledge customers in a friendly and helpful manner within 30 seconds of their entry into the area
- Handle all returns courteously and professionally
- Determine customer needs based on personal features and other customer preference related factors
- Demonstrate knowledge of store products and services to build sales and minimize returns
- Suggest additional merchandise to compliment customer selection
- Offer to call other locations if merchandise is unavailable within store
- Offer to put purchase on customer’s Macy’s charge account toward the end of the shopping experience
- Reinforce customer’s selection and package merchandise with care
- Invite customers to come back and thank them by name whenever possible
- Responsible for achieving personal sales goals and Star Reward goals
- Maintain a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm reflecting Macy’s commitment to our customer-the most important person in our stores
- Be knowledgeable of and perform sales support functions related to point of sale procedures
- Develop product knowledge by reading current vendor tags and pamphlets and attending training classes in order to communicate it to the customer
- Be aware of current promotional events and sales
- Maintain good housekeeping standards
- Adhere to Loss Prevention and inventory control and compliance procedures
- Perform other duties as needed
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
- No specific educational accomplishment is required.
- No experience is required.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, peers, and management.
- Able to communicate on the telephone with proper etiquette.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Able to use a calculator.
- Must be able to calculate percentages and ratios.
- Must be able to make change using American monetary units.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- This position requires constant moving, talking, hearing, reaching, and standing.
- Must be able to stand for at least two consecutive hours.
- Must be able to lift at least 30 lbs.
- May occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb ladders.
- Vision abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to function as part of a team.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Must enjoy meeting and interacting with customers.
- Possess a thirst for learning.
- Flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays. .
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.