Sales Associate Overview
Our stores are where the ultimate magic of Macy's comes to life, and our Sales Associates are vital to delivering customer service that offers a distinctive shopping experience and drives sales results. While all positions within Macy's require working as part of a team to meet department and store objectives, your individual responsibilities as a Sales Associate may include demonstrating outstanding customer service and selling skills, keeping the selling floor stocked with merchandise and ready for sales events, or organizing the selling floor and stock areas.
Depending on location, we offer different types of Sales Associate positions, including Hourly Sales Associate and Commissioned Sales Associate roles. The Hiring Manager conducting your interview will detail the type of position you’re interviewing for during your appointment, and you will have the opportunity to ask questions at that time.
Holiday Sales Associates will have the same responsibilities on a temporary basis.
- Meeting and making a connection with customers, asking questions and listening to shoppers' needs, then giving options and advice on meeting those needs
- Inspiring the customer to buy, celebrating the purchase, and creating a lasting positive impression of you, Macy's, and the purchase
- Ensuring that fitting rooms are ready for customers by promptly clearing our merchandise and returning it to the proper area of the selling floor
- Maintaining selling floor presentations, and restocking them as needed
- Learning Macy's systems and procedures to enhance selling efficiencies and complete support duties
- Handle all returns courteously and professionally
- Responsible for achieving personal sales goals and Star Reward goals
- Maintain a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm reflecting Macy’s commitment to our customer – the most important person in our stores
- Be knowledgeable of and perform sales support functions related to POS procedures
- Develop product knowledge by reading current vendor tags and pamphlets and attending training classes in order to communicate it to the customer
- Be aware of current promotional events and sales
- Maintain good housekeeping standards
- Adhere to Loss Prevention and inventory control and compliance procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
- Education/Experience: Previous retail sales experience preferred, but not required
- Communication Skills: Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively communicate with customers, peers, and management. Ability to communicate on the telephone with proper etiquette.
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Ability to use a calculator and calculate percentages and ratios. Must be able to make change in American monetary units.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to multi-task, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the needs of the business. Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative independent of direct supervision.
- Physical Demands: This position involves constant moving, talking, hearing, reaching, grabbing and standing for at least two consecutive hours. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders. Vision abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Involves lifting at least 30 lbs.
- Other Skills: Enthusiastic, friendly, and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding service.
- Work Hours: Available to work a variety of hours, which may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and overnight shifts.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Updated Date: 1/2/14